Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

#SEAsia_Traveller: Cambodia Part 2

22 July 2015!!!

CHUM REAP SUOR! The day is here.
My boarding pass for my first flight, AK 700, Singapore to Kuala Lumpur
Took the first train from Jurong to Changi Airport. My flight was at 0745 hours. I was praying hard that the train would not play any pranks. Thankfully, I managed to reach airport before the check in counter closes. Haha, too cheapo to take taxi. 

It was a short 45 minute flight from Singapore to KL. It was my second time having transit at KL, but at different airport. I did a web check in for my second leg of the flight, and got my e boarding pass on the spot, thankfully. I did not have to clear immigration thankfully. 


My  7 RM orange juice on board. Honestly speaking, AirAsia charges the lowest for meal purchases on board.

While at KLIA2, I decided to give SAMA SAMA express lounge a try since I have a good 3-4 hours waiting for next flight. The lounge rate was 95 RM which includes buffet meal, shower and internet facilities. Pretty value for money I must say. Hey! For a cheapo like me to say it is pretty value for money, means it indeed is value for money. 

After idling the whole morning at the SAMA SAMA Lounge, time for me to board the second flight to Siem Reap! CHUM REAP SUOR! Cambodia, HERE I COME!

This Air Asia Plane is painted in special ASEAN livery, probably to promote their ASEAN Pass


After two hours of cramp flight, I have finally arrived at Siem Reap. HELLO KINGDOM OF WONDER, HELLO ANGKOR WAT, HELLO ANCIENT TEMPLES!


Siem Reap airport is rather small for an International Airport, lacking proper facilities an international airport should processes such as aero-bridges.
After clearing immigration, I proceeded to arrival area where my "hotel pick up" driver was waiting. He was lamenting about the flight delay. Oops, I did feel sorry for making him wait aimlessly but then it was a fact that the flight was delayed. If you are arriving to Siem Reap, it is advisable that you arrange for a hotel pick up. 

The tuk tuk ride felt quite shiok! Haha, the scenery along the tuk tuk ride to my guest house felt familiar. Initially I asked myself if I was in Myanmar or Cambodia. I felt rather at home while I should be feeling like an alien in Cambodia.

After checking in at guest house (Advisor Angkor Villa) and renting the bicycle, I set out for the journey to Angkor Wat. It was a good 6 - 8 km from Siem Reap to Angkor Wat and I would strongly recommend that you ride the bicycle there. It makes the trip more memorable and adventurous. 

I cycled from National Highway 6 to Charles De Gaulles Expressway. There are three routes to go to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom. First being CDG, second one is through Sivatha Bolvd (slightly shorter route) and I forgot the name of the third one (but it connects the airport and Angkor Wat). If you are going to Angkor Wat for the first time on your own, you have to go through Charles De Gaulles as the ticketing center is located along CDG.

If you see this somehow very inappropriate looking statue (sorry la! I am dirty minded xP) aiming his I don't know what thing at the road you are on the correct route. This is the route you have to take to the ticketing center for entrance ticket. 

After cycling for 15 minutes, I arrived at the ticketing center. I suggest you reach there as early as 4 PM as the queue could be horrendously long. The counter opens at 445 PM. There are three type of tickets available, 1 Day pass, 3 Days pass or 7 Days pass. I purchased the ticket for the next day and the ticket purchased in the evening allows you to enter the Angkor National Park on that same evening. Take note that there are countless and random check points everywhere so do not think about entering the park without a ticket. 

 My one day pass.
My trusty bicycle


After purchasing the ticket, it was another 3 - 4 km to Angkor Wat. Take note, never ever trust the locals here with their distance estimation. They told me it is another 5 min to the temple, but it took me 15 minutes. After cycling tirelessly for another 15 minutes, I first saw the glimpse of ancient wonder, THE ANGKOR WAT! HOLY CRAPS! I'VE ARRIVED AT ANGKOR WAT!

To be continued.....




No comments: