Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

#SEAsia_Traveller: Cambodia

Wanting to fully utilize the remaining days of leave available, yours truly made yet another impromptu decision to travel, alone this time. And Cambodia appeared in my mind, honestly, I would never have thought of traveling to Cambodia for now. Well, since Myanmar and Cambodia has signed Visa Free agreement, why not travel to Kingdom of Wonder to admire the marvelous works of ancient Khmer people. In addition, I thought of cross border into Vietnam as well, since it takes about 6 hours by bus from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh.

Alright then! Time to do some plannings! Using Skyscanner app, yours truly searched for the cheapest price available. Well, the trick to travelling budget isn't really taking budget airlines. With cheapest one way flights from Singapore to Siem Reap cost 180 SGD (Jetster direct flight: 190 SGD, AirAsia flight transit at Bangkok: 180 SGD), I have to be outsmart the booking system.

So instead of making one booking, I made two separate bookings. You should try this option if you have time for transit flights. It allowed me to get the air ticket at a cheaper price, MUCH MUCH CHEAPER. 

This is the breakdown of my ticket: 
two separate bookings
Singapore to KL: $52 (AirAsia)
KL to Siem Reap: $45 (Airasia)

vs single booking
Singapore to Siem Reap (transit at Bangkok): $180 (AirAsia)

And yes. I saved $83! 

I booked return trip from Ho Chi Minh to Singapore with Tiger Air at $60. My total budget damage for the flight was $157. And it is even cheaper than $180 one way ticket.

And yes it is important to factor in the time of the day that you are booking ticket too. The price is cheaper if you book in the afternoon (2-3 pm per se).

Outsmart the booking system: CHECKED! 

Here comes the accommodation.
Siem Reap: 1N $10 (Advisor Angkor Villa Guest House: Fan)
Phnom Penh: 1N $14 (Pra-Tna Guesthouse: Fan)
Ho Chi Minh: 2N $46 (Hoang Lien Hotel: Air Condition)

I have wanted to try the backpacker hostel in HCM but my instinct told me it was better to stay at hotel. After much searching, I found Hoang Lien hotel. The price was really really value for money. The A/C room has full amenties. I paid less for more service. 

My total budget damage for accommodation: $70 dollars. 

Total budget damage so far: $227. 

I have allowed myself $300 ($200 in Cambodia and $100 in Vietnam) to survive for 6D5N in two countries. Let's see if I can achieve my goal of traveling budget. :)

To be continued...


No comments: