Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jambo, Jambo Bwana - Hello, Hello Sir

Jambo
Jambo Bwana
Habari Gani
Mzuri Sana

Wageni
Mwakari-bishwa
Kenya yetu
Hakuna Matata

Translation:
Hello
Hello Sir
How are you?
I am fine.

Foreigners
Welcome
in Kenya
There is no problem.


I was addicted, totally addicted and fallen in love with this charming song after attending Jeff's post Kilimanjaro sharing session. 

The lyrics are simple, fun and simply amazing. At the end of the song, I learnt how to greet in Swahili, a native language in Africa. Awesome isn't it?

And this is the second time I came across the phrase "Hakuna Matata". First time was when watching Lion King while I was young. Timon and Pumba, the best singers of all time. And yeah, the second encounter is while listening to this awesome song, Jambo Bwana.

Hakuna Matata means, problem free, simplicity or no worries. 

This song makes yours truly feel like he is in Africa, literally. This phrase Hakuna Matata actually tells us of how simple and worry free the native Africans' lives are. (Too much Social Studies referencing, X-factoring in secondary school).

But, it is contradicting to the reality, you would say. 

Yes, you are right to say that. Africa is the continent with most problems. A barren land (not that meaning barren, but you get my point, don't cha?) bundled with countless problems. Slavery, starvation, droughts, famines, STDs etc.

*They sure have problems. In fact many, much more than the problems we have in our lives. But they are really amazing. Even though there are countless hardship they faced in their lives, they endured them, embraced them bravely. If we were in their shoes, will we even be able to bear just the slightest problem they faced? The answer, NO. *

(** Just my opinions, my perspectives. No offence intended)

That's probably the phrase Hakuna Matata must means a lot to them. Telling themselves no problem at the end of the day. We, the citizens of first world nations have a lot to learn from them. We also have to tell ourselves Hakuna Matata. :) 

The whole thing actually makes me want to go to Africa. I want to fly there to experience things there. And most importantly, I want to put a smile on their faces, make them forget the problems, worries temporarily and feel comfortable with me around. And I gonna dance with the native Africans, and sing Jambo Bwana together with them. 

Sigh, feel bad not signing up for Kilimanjaro Leap Camp last year. Well, I believe there will be chance for me to go Africa, somewhere in future. Hope this little goal of mine will be able to achieve soon. Is there any rich and kind soul out there to sponsor me? *Pray*

Must thank Jeff for sharing about his trip, for making me realized my passion to help people there. Thank you bro. :)

One day, someday in future, I will be heading to Africa to help the folks there, putting a smile 
on everyone's face, making sure they know that they are being loved too. :) 

And I also pray and hope there will be a sponsor for me to pursue my passion, even though the chance of getting a sponsor is almost zero. 

That's for the night folks.

With a farewell song from The Tokens, Lion Sleeps Tonight, I bid you a good night. Have a good day ahead folks. :)

Signing off.